Sunday, March 12, 2017

The Night Shift

Every night my heart breaks just a bit,
lying comfortably in bed,
knowing I'll soon have to get out of it.

Now I suppose,
I chose--
what at the time seemed best,
completely unaware of the health complications
that could arise from the constant lack of rest.

And yes,
some may say,
"Consider the pay--
you're no longer living check to check."
And as true as that may be,
what they fail to see
is that deep down I'm a wreck.

Because my fuel comes from the sun;
I'm energized by its rays,
but now most of my time is spent
sleeping away the days.

Relationships?
Please, you don't even wanna get me started,
because obviously the graveyard shift
was designed for the lone hearted.
Socially deprived,
I have no time to be found by my mate,
by simply taking this position I unconsciously
told my love life that it'll have to wait.

An isolated hospital worker,
alone and very sleepy,
just the thought of returning to work
makes me kinda weepy.

Nightly encouraging myself, 'to see the wider view,
thinking possibly my patients may actually need you.
Praying to not become frustrated by foolish orders
or annoying physicians,
but to remember that this too may be apart of the mission.'

In the scripture Colossians 3:23
we're advised to do all of our work 'heartily'
as if we are doing it strictly for the Lord.
And to be reminded that the inheritance
of heaven will one day be our reward.

Though it seems like there's no rest for the weary,
heck,
not even during the night,
this season will soon pass
and eventually we'll be living back in the light.

So to my fellow overnight workers
who may also despise this assigned shift,
hang in there a little longer--
soon enough we'll get out of this.

For our joy comes at the sign of daybreak--
and the Lord our Father specializes in healing
the night shift workers' heartache.

No comments:

Post a Comment