Sunday, February 13, 2011

note to SELF: i LOVE you

It's International SELF LOVE day and what better way for us to gear up for Valentine's Day.

Females are more emotionally attached to the idea of Valentine's Day, hearts, roses and all things mushy around this time of the year.

I particularly like that there are two groups of women created around this time also. There are the women that are hardcore hopeless romantics and are in love with the whole idea and there are the other women that are have Cupid on there Most Wanted list (possibly because they're currently single or may have been hurt.) Either way, each group has their right to believe what they may.

I'm also apart of a group and it's the one that treads the thin line right between the two. I love that love is celebrated on Valentine's and that for a few hours you and your significant other can show appreciation towards the other. But I also think it's a tad bit cheesed out and overrated. Personally, I don't want to receive a stuffed animal or be taken to an overcrowded restaurant like the hundreds of other people out there. To me that isn't what it's all about.

You're probably thinking...... What does any of that have to do with it being International Self Love Day? Well my friend, you gots to love you some of you in order to love some of anyone else. Today is the day where it's okay to take yourself on a date and buy yourself some flowers, and show yourself some appreciation. Over the weekend that's exactly I did. I did lunch and a movie with myself. I didn't let the fact that going out alone sever my imagination towards loving myself. It was one of the coolest dates I think I have ever been on.

Anyways, an act like this one does require a great deal of self love in order to not feel awkward and uncomfortable in an environment surrounded by couples. But I liked seeing everyone share in their togetherness; love was definitely in the air and I was blessed to take it all in.

So fellow love lovers, I end by suggesting you devote this February 13th towards being sweet to yourself. Go old school and start by giving yourself one of those cute little candy hearts that read, "Be Mine" and accept. We all know and have heard the cliche, that you can't love anyone else unless you love yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment